Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Intimidated by Lasagna


I often thought about making lasagna, but was intimidated by the amount of time it could take to make! I've made frozen lasagna.... but that doesn't really count. Recently, I discovered a recipe that would make the creation of a good lasagna so much easier and it turns out, it's delicious!
(Here's the ironic part - the recipe is my MOM'S!! I found it in my old school's cookbook - should've known it would be the best.)

What makes this lasagna less intimidating? You don't cook the noodles first. I don't know why taking that simple step out of it makes it so much easier, but it does for me!

Here's the recipe!

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs ground beef (we use ground turkey)
8-10 wide lasagna noodles
1 (16 oz.) carton of small curd cottage cheese (we use ricotta)
1 large (16-18 oz) jar of marinara sauce
1 large (16-18 oz) jar of your favorite pasta sauce
1 lb grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
Brown and drain hamburger. Add sauces and cottage (or ricotta) cheese. Mix well by hand. Grease 9x13 dish. Layer with uncooked noodles. Add a layer of sauce mixture; top with cheese. Repeat these layers. Cook for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cover with foil towards end if cheese is getting dark.


While you're at it, you might as well make an extra to put in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment